While NSW Health are leading our state response, the Clinical Excellence Commission (CEC) has a specific role under the NSW Influenza Pandemic Plan. This includes providing infection prevention and control and patient safety advice and expertise to the Ministry of Health; and developing state-wide strategies and resources (including training modules to rapidly up-skill health workers) to maintain high levels of compliance with infection prevention and control and patient safety recommendations.
Information provided by the CEC is primarily for clinicians and health workers in healthcare settings. Members of the general public should consult the NSW Health website for the latest updates on COVID-19 as their primary source of information.
Preventing the spread of infection where we work
We need to be extra mindful of practicing good hand and personal hygiene to prevent the spread of infection.
The best way to protect yourself and each other is the same as you would against any respiratory infection.
- Clean your hands thoroughly for at least 20 seconds with soap and water, or an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Cover your nose and mouth when coughing and sneezing with tissue or a flexed elbow.
- Ensure laboratory and sample specific Infection Control procedures/protocols for high risk samples are followed and appropriate equipment is utilised;
- Ensure all workstations and equipment are cleaned, including keyboards, frequently with liquid detergent and then with alcohol or other antimicrobial agents/wipes.
- Stay at home if you are sick
- Avoid touching your face
- Social Distancing
- Wear clean clothes to work every day. Change clothes and shower when we get home and place work clothes in the wash
For our frontline teams, please refer to the Clinical Excellence Commission’s updated COVID-19 infection control guidelines. Additional resources are in development and will be shared soon. If you are office-based, use hand sanitiser and desk wipes to keep surfaces clean and sterile. Please limit unnecessary items on desks and around offices and workspaces.
Personal protective equipment
Advice on the correct application of PPE in response to COVID-19 Guidelines from the CEC - including advice on masks - are here along with the Principles of Fit Checking.
You can find webinars, fact sheets, posters and more here.