Perinatal Postmortem Service
The NSW Perinatal Postmortem Service supports hundreds of NSW families affected by the death of a child shortly after or before birth by giving them the opportunity to understand the reasons for their loss.
We are a statewide service that manages all non-coronial perinatal postmortem needs and provide:
- High-quality and timely assistance, focused on compassionate and dignified care
- Family-focused care and consultation with relevant healthcare teams to help families find the answers they need
- Expert examination using the highest standards
- Strict ethical standards of care
- Timely, reliable results.
Unable to embed resource /multimediafiles/Perinatal Postmortem web version.mp4
Expert non-coronial perinatal postmortem services and a range of ancillary tests performed by credentialed perinatal pathologists are available from three centres at Westmead, Randwick and Newcastle.
Our Care Coordinator helps support families and referrers to better understand the service. We operate Monday to Friday during business hours. Enquiries outside these hours should be emailed
to our Care Coordinator who will be in touch the next available working day. Clinicians can also make a referral
to the service via our website.
If you need after-hours or urgent postmortem advice, please call:
- The Children’s Hospital, Westmead - phone (02) 9845 0000 switchboard and ask to be transferred to the on-call pathologist
- John Hunter Hospital - phone (02) 4921 3000 switchboard and ask to be transferred to the on-call pathologist.
- Prince of Wales Hospital - phone (02) 9382 2222 switchboard and ask to be transferred to the on-call pathologist.